Tammy Lamb, Campbellsville, Kentucky stirs up this full-flavored brunch dish at night so it's ready to bake up light and fluffy the next morning. "The recipe came from a beautiful bed-and-breakfast my husband and I stayed at several years ago," she notes.
Recommended: 43 Must-Try Puff Pastry Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- In a large skillet, crumble sausage and cook until no longer pink; drain. In a bowl, combine the biscuit mix, cheese, mustard and Italian seasoning; add sausage. In another bowl, whisk the egg substitute, eggs and milk; stir into the sausage mixture. Transfer to a shallow 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Egg Puff in Quick Cooking July/August 2002, p49