My husband and I try to eat healthy, but finding new meals for breakfast is a challenge. By adding tomatoes, spinach and garlic to traditional egg whites, we can have a dish that is both light and satisfying.—Wendy G. Ball, Battle Creek, Michigan.
Recommended: Breakfast Burrito Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound bulk lean turkey breakfast sausage
- 3 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Salsa, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Remove from pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs and egg whites until blended. In same pan, add eggs; cook and stir over medium heat until eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains. Remove from pan; wipe skillet clean if necessary.
- In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add spinach, tomatoes and garlic; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Stir in sausage and eggs; heat through. Sprinkle with pepper.
- To serve, spoon 2/3 cup filling across center each tortilla. Fold bottom and sides of tortilla over filling and roll up. If desired, serve with salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sausage-Egg Burritos in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2016, p72