- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (14 ounces) seasoned stuffing cubes (about 9 cups)
- 1 large tart apple, chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage with onion and celery over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage mixture to a greased 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in broth, eggs, melted butter, sage and pepper. Add remaining ingredients; mix lightly to combine.
- Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°, 3-4 hours, stirring once. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forSausage Dressing
"Very good stuffing; would make again. Making in the slow cooker was a definite plus."
"I made this for Thanksgiving yesterday. It smelled so good while it was cooking, but when we went to eat it, it was so nasty that it made me want to vomit."
"I left out the apple, egg and sage and it still tasted good. I also cooked it in the oven. My son-in-law said he could eat the whole dish (but he didn't..lol)"
"I make my own cornbread and when it comes out of the oven and cools, I cut it up in cubes. Then I add the cooked pork sausage, cooked onion, celery, sage, melted butter and chicken broth and gently mix and put in a buttered casserole and bake at 325 degrees for one hour. It's wonderful. I also use sage flavored pork sausage when I can find it."