Sausage Deep Dish Pizza
This hearty pizza pie is sure to become a staple in your house. Frozen bread dough is pressed into a springform pan to make an easy crust, then spread with the sauce and topped with sausage, green pepper and cheese.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1-3/4 cups pizza sauce
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Green pepper rings
- Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll and stretch dough into a 10-in. circle. Cover with plastic wrap; let rest for 10 minutes. Roll and stretch the dough into a 12-in. circle. Grease a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet; sprinkle with cornmeal. Press dough onto bottom and 1 in. up sides of prepared skillet.
- Spread with pizza sauce; top with sausage, 1 cup cheese, oregano and green pepper. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake until crust is golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 393 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 1007mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Deep-Dish Sausage Pizza in Quick Cooking September/October 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.