Sausage Cornbread Dressing
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 medium tart apples, chopped
- 1 cup chopped roasted chestnuts
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large egg white
- For cornbread, combine the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine the buttermilk, applesauce and egg whites; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage, celery, onion and red pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Crumble cornbread over mixture. Add the apples, chestnuts, parsley, garlic, thyme and pepper. Stir in broth and egg white.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 325° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 157 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 464mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 25, 2009
Thankyou for a wonderful recipe! I served this for a special dinner with friends with turkey and got rave reviews. The flavours blend well together and completed our meal perfectly.