- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, cook the sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Add the corn, milk, eggs and oil. Pour half into a greased 10-in. ovenproof iron skillet. Sprinkle with the sausage mixture and cheese. Spread remaining cornmeal mixture on top. Bake at 425° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the corn bread comes out clean. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forSausage Cornbread
"We've been making a similar dish forever that has tomato-chili sauce instead of the cheese. Was so happy to find this recipe when I ran out of diced tomatoes! Served it with cream of tomato soup--just right on a cold day. Used no salt added creamed corn, whole wheat flour, and reduced sodium baking powder to make it closer to my diet needs (more fiber, less salt), can't tell the difference. Thanks!"
"Five stars. I've been making this for years. Use a iron skillet with super hot butter melted in it before you pour in the batter. Makes a nice crisp crust."
"My husband and other family members give this recipe all-round thumbs up."