"This recipe has evolved over the years from frequent use. It was given to me by my sister almost 30 years ago," notes Trudy Coleman of Avoca, Pennsylvania. "It was the first meal I cooked when my husband and I moved into our house. Our son was 6 months old then...he's 22 now and still likes this hearty skillet supper. It's easy, flavorful and quick."
Recommended: Grandma's Best Suppers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/4 pounds turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green or sweet red pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the flour, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes and corn. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Serve over rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Corn Supper in Light & Tasty April/May 2002, p13