Sausage Corn Bread Dressing
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 medium tart apples, chopped
- 1 cup chopped roasted chestnuts
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large egg white
- For corn bread, combine the first five ingredients in a large bowl. Combine the buttermilk, applesauce and egg whites; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage, celery, onion and red pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Crumble corn bread over mixture. Add the apples, chestnuts, parsley, garlic, thyme and pepper. Stir in broth and egg white.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 325° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 157 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 464mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Jul 25, 2009
Thankyou for a wonderful recipe! I served this for a special dinner with friends with turkey and got rave reviews. The flavours blend well together and completed our meal perfectly.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.