My mother says that my grandmother made the best butterhorns. I never tasted hers, but my Mom's were delicious and grandma, of course, taught her. Through the years, my Mom filled butter horns with everything, from fruit, to seafood, to meats and all sorts of nuts and raisins. I always got a kick out of trying to guess what was in them. This recipe is ideal for brunch or lunch. —Paula Marchesi, Lenhartsville, Pennsylvania
Featured In: Mom's Best Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in milk. Add the eggs, potato flakes, butter, sugar, salt and 4 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside to cool.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 12-in. circle; sprinkle with 1 cup sausage and 1/4 cup cheese. Cut each circle into 12 wedges.
- Roll up wedges from the wide ends and place point side down 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Curve ends to form crescents. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Brush with egg.
- Bake at 375° for 14-18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Sausage Cheese Crescents in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p73
Reviews forSausage Cheese Crescents
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review