- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced and halved
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/2 pound fully cooked smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute onion in oil and butter until tender. Add carrots and celery; saute for 3 minutes. Add caraway; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Add water, cabbage, sausage, tomatoes and brown sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add beans, vinegar, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSausage Cabbage Soup
"Serve this and you'll receive many complements. The sausage and cabbage go together nicely here!!"
"Awesome soup I was a little scared with the brown sugar and vinegar but turned out fantastic."
"This is a new family favorite in our home! It was super easy to prepare and the caraway gives it a unique flavor we all enjoy. I used a bulk sausage that I had on hand and used the drippings to saute the onions. I am sure it will taste great as written, too. My husband is still commenting on how good it was an hour later!"
"I used Smoked turkey Sausage and it turned out very good."