- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 to 3 carrots, diced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 9 ounces cheese tortellini, cooked and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 quarts light cream
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- In a skillet, cook and crumble sausage until no longer pink. Remove to paper towels to drain; set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion, garlic and mushrooms in butter until tender; set aside. In a Dutch oven, cook the broccoli and carrots in chicken broth until tender. Stir in sausage and the mushroom mixture. Add soup, tortellini, pepper, basil and thyme; heat through. Stir in cream and Romano cheese; heat through. Yield: 12-16 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews forSausage Broccoli Chowder
"I did like other suggested using half the milk....very yummy"
"This is an awsome soup. I have been making it for years and every time I make it for company somebody askes me for the recipe. However I do not use all half and half. I use one quart of whole milk and one quart of half and half because it gets to be a bit much. Cook it up, you'll love it. Chicago."
"Fantastic! For my family, I doubled the sausage and the tortellini....it was wonderful, one of the best recipes I've made in a long time :)"