Sausage & Beans with Rice
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until onion is crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 529 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 1504mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 8g fiber), 21g protein.
Apr 27, 2016
This was delicious! It did take a lot longer to cook the rice and I ended up adding the rest of the can of vegetable broth to keep it from drying out but it was worth the wait.
Aug 8, 2013
This was a little too sweet for my liking, but I would make it again with some minor adjustments. It also needs a little seasoning as well. Good starter for an excellent meal.
Sep 10, 2012
Hubby loves any thing with brown sugar. This is a keeper.
Dec 28, 2011
I like sweet, so I liked this recipe. The reason I won't be making it again is that my husband found it to be too sweet for his taste. I did change one thing (which doesn't affect the flavor). I cooked some rice in vegetable broth (instead of using instant rice), then stirred it in and baked it all covered for 15 minutes. I did not uncover and leave in the oven longer because the rice was already cooked.
Nov 20, 2011
I used a whole can of broth and doubled the rice; which made the rice a little tough. I must need to add more liquid. We've made it twice though and plan to make this a weekly dish. Delicious!
Jan 21, 2010
My kids love this
Oct 26, 2009
My whole family loved it! So easy to prepare!
Feb 18, 2009
My family loves this recipe! We actually thought that the sweetness was a great contrast to the spice in this dish. I did try it with Healthy Ones smoked sausage and dropped the fat content by A LOT. Couldn't even tell a difference!
Nov 18, 2008
This was way too sweet. I want to make it again but omitting the brown sugar and the corn syrup. It was very easy to make. I have hopes it will be better without the sweeteners.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.