- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) beans (kidney, butter, pinto and/or black-eyed peas, etc.), rinsed and drained
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- In a 4-qt. Dutch oven, place all ingredients except spinach. Cover and cook over medium heat for 45-60 minutes or until the barley and lentils are tender. Stir in spinach an heat through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forSausage Bean Stew
"I found this to be pretty bland and added about 1/2 t red pepper flakes to give it mor flavor."
"My family loves this stew on a cold day with cornbread. I add a 8 oz can of tomato sauce."