Sausage Bean Soup Recipe
- 3/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook and crumble sausage with onion and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain.
- 2. Stir in beans, tomatoes, basil and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Serve with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Health Tip: Switch to no-salt-added diced tomatoes and skip the Parmesan cheese to cut about 130mg sodium per serving. Use no-salt-added beans and save almost 300mg more.
1 cup: 268 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 908mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 15g protein.
Reviews for Sausage Bean Soup
"I always make recipes "as is" when trying for the first time. We actually found this to be a bit bland in its original version. I jazzed it up the second time by using Italian-diced tomatoes, as well as more basil and then added some Italian spice. This helped a lot."
"I used the butter beans and kidney beans also the smoked turkey kielbasa, it was awesome! Don't forget the basil, makes the dish! Thanks TOH!"
"Super easy and it goes together real fast. I did simmer mine covered for longer than 10 minutes. Removed the lid and simmered for 10 minutes. I also added a little bit of water to it the next day as it really thickened up overnight.Hubby said its The Best *Janie"
"Loved this soup! So tasty!"
"My husband loves this recipe!"
"Tasty, easy to make. Used northern beans in place of the butter beans."
"so quick and so tasty"
"I made this with Spicy Italian Venison sausage. Serving with the Italian grilled cheese is a must!"
"I glancing through an old copy of Taste of Home from the '90's and came across this wonderful, fast easy recipie. I substituted a can of tomato soup for the canned diced tomatoes and added my own swiss chard for a little color and nutrition boost. The Italian Grilled Cheese that goes with it tastes like pizza. We might start having this once a week it's so good and easy."
"We've made this recipe for several years now. One of my family's favorite. In fact we are haveing it tonight a rainy cool day."
"The soup was great!! It didn't last very long. I gave a container to my son and my priest. They also enjoyed it. I am also having a ball trying other soups. Thanks for the recipes."
"My family absolutely loves this meal! I get requests for it all the time. I like using a hot italian sausage for a bit of zest."