This is the perfect dish for a cool winter evening. It uses a grain which is usually reserved for baking but it is perfect in this casserole.—Mary Beth Jung, Hendersonville, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Saute sausage until lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside. Add remaining butter; saute barley, vegetables and garlic until barley is lightly browned. Return sausage to pan. Add water, tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until liquid is absorbed, about 1 hour.