Sausage, Artichoke & Sun-Dried Tomato Ragu
This is a thick and hearty spaghetti sauce that's simple to prepare. Like all good spaghetti sauces, this one tastes even better the next day. If you prefer a little celery or bell pepper in your sauce, go ahead and throw them in. The results will still amaze. —Aysha Schurman, Ammon, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) Italian tomato paste
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, beef and onion over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink, 4-6 minutes, breaking into crumbles; drain. Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, artichokes, garlic, rosemary, pepper, salt and bay leaf.
- Cook, covered, on low until heated through, 6-8 hours. Remove bay leaf. Stir in parsley. Serve with spaghetti. If desired, top with grated Parmesan.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.