Sausage Apple Squares
- 1 package (8 ounces) fully cooked breakfast sausage links
- 3 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apple
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- Applesauce, warmed
- 1. In a large skillet, brown sausages over medium heat. Meanwhile, arrange apples in a greased 8-in. square baking pan; top with sausages.
- 2. Prepare cornbread batter according to package directions; spoon over sausages. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; top with warm applesauce.
1 piece: 194 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 333mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 3, 2017
My husband and I thought this was pretty good, but was missing something. I did sprinkle some brown sugar over top the apples before adding the sausage. The sausage I used was apple & brown sugar flavored, which I baked in the oven. I thought it could use a bit more sausage, maybe an extra link or two. Instead of the apple sauce, we just used maple syrup. Next time I may try apple butter on top instead. Honestly I couldn't tell very much that it was corn bread. I'm not sure what I can add to take this to the next level, but I'd give this a try again.
Dec 31, 1969
This was a nice change of style for a breakfast dish. I spooned batter onto apples and sausage but slightly stirred mixture around so that cornbread was not just sitting on top. This would make a nice addition to any breakfast or brunch buffet.
Apr 21, 2011
Best Brunch I have ever made. To save time I used canned apples in water and drained the apples. I used "splenda" to sweeten and cinnamon for extra flavor.
Dec 31, 1969
Quick and easy. Nice and different way to use sausage (I used ground sausage). Next time I will add cinnamon to the apples. Perhaps add maple syrup, after baking on top.
Morrita from Ohio