Sausage Apple Squares
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (8 ounces) Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Original Recipe Sausage Links
- 3 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apple
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- Applesauce, warmed
- In a large skillet, brown sausages over medium heat. Meanwhile, arrange apples in a greased 8-in. square baking pan; top with sausages.
- Prepare cornbread batter according to package directions; spoon over sausages. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; top with warm applesauce.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 194 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 333mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 3, 2017
My husband and I thought this was pretty good, but was missing something. I did sprinkle some brown sugar over top the apples before adding the sausage. The sausage I used was apple & brown sugar flavored, which I baked in the oven. I thought it could use a bit more sausage, maybe an extra link or two. Instead of the apple sauce, we just used maple syrup. Next time I may try apple butter on top instead. Honestly I couldn't tell very much that it was corn bread. I'm not sure what I can add to take this to the next level, but I'd give this a try again.
Jan 11, 2014
This was a nice change of style for a breakfast dish. I spooned batter onto apples and sausage but slightly stirred mixture around so that cornbread was not just sitting on top. This would make a nice addition to any breakfast or brunch buffet.
Apr 21, 2011
Best Brunch I have ever made. To save time I used canned apples in water and drained the apples. I used "splenda" to sweeten and cinnamon for extra flavor.
Jan 20, 2008
Quick and easy. Nice and different way to use sausage (I used ground sausage). Next time I will add cinnamon to the apples. Perhaps add maple syrup, after baking on top.Morrita from Ohio
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.