Sausage-Apple Breakfast Bread
To make breakfast a little more satisfying, I added sausage to a sweet quick bread. Serve this bread warm, nestled next to your favorite scrambled eggs. —Anita Hunter, Stilwell, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 medium apples, peeled and shredded (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- Maple syrup, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 9-in. round baking pan. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain.
- In a large bowl, whisk flours, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk eggs, brown sugar, apple cider and oil until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in apples and half of the sausage. Transfer to prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, mix oats, brown sugar and flour; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in remaining sausage. Sprinkle over batter. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Serve warm. If desired, drizzle with maple syrup. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice (calculated without syrup): 354 calories, 21g fat (5g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 427mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Sausage-Apple Breakfast Bread in Taste of Home February/March 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.