- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; add the rice and sausage.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forSausage and Wild Rice Casserole
"I found this recipe in the 1980's in a list of recipes that won awards. I don't usually like casseroles due to the amount of "creamy" they have but this one is delicious. My casserole loving husband likes it, too. Over the years, I've changed it up but the original is honestly the best. (Hot sausage is a nice change if you like spicy) I use the light cream of celery soup rather than cream of mushroom. I have also topped it with everything from au gratin to potato chips to fried onion rings. Not bad but original is still the best."
"Wonderful recipe! My husband doesn't like casseroles, and even he said he would eat it again! Very tasty."
"I make this recipe all the time and have shared it with many friends. It is my husbands favorite. I add 2 boxes of the wild rice when I make. Also I have substituted the cream of mushroom soup and cheddar cheese with cream of celery and 3/4 C parmesan cheese. It is a great breakfast casserole served with scrambled eggs and croissants."
"I used a 12-oz roll of light sausage, and it was perfect! Family loved it...even my daughter who doesn't like mushrooms didn't mind them in this dish!"
"cprice542... I agree with Deb25. If you use half sausage and half hamburger it will cut down on the overpowering sausage taste. I've done this on a couple of recipes calling for sausage alone. Try it again and see if it doesn't help. Good luck and enjoy!"
"try adding half hamburger and half rolled sausage,I make a version of this using both. It is very tasty"
"I wonder if a mild pork sausage would be better. i will have to try this."