When company's coming or when I need a quick-and-easy dish to pass, this is my hands-down favorite. A neighbor introduced me to the delicious combination of fluffy rice and sage-seasoned sausage. One forkful was all it took to convince me that I'd found a winner.
Recommended: 25 Potluck Side Dishes to Feed a Crowd
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound sage-flavored Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup converted rice, uncooked
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- Brown sausage in a heavy skillet over medium heat; transfer sausage to a 2-1/2-qt. greased casserole dish. In the sausage drippings, saute celery, onion, peppers and mushrooms until lightly browned; transfer to prepared dish. Add water chestnuts, rice, broth and seasonings; mix well. Cover tightly and bake at 350° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until rice is fluffy and tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sausage and Rice Casserole Side Dish in Country Woman March/April 1990, p33