Sausage and Egg Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 6 slices white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, brown and crumble sausage; drain and set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs; add milk, salt and mustard. Stir in bread cubes, cheese and sausage.
- Pour into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 248 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 163mg cholesterol, 633mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 12g protein.
Feb 13, 2020
This was easy to assemble and turned out Great! I gave it a 4.5 since I decided to add seasoning salt, parsley, and diced onion for some extra flavor my family enjoys.
Nov 10, 2019
Is there a sub for ground mustard
Nov 4, 2019
This breakfast casserole was wonderful! I stirred it up and baked it the same morning, which worked just fine. I also used 1 cup of milk instead of 2 and added fresh chives. I'll definitely be making this again!
Oct 5, 2019
Two cups of milk for only six eggs seems excessive. I'd cut it to one cup so I could taste the eggs. And if breakfast sausage is used, the 1t of salt can almost be eliminated.
Jul 27, 2019
This is my favorite of the overnight casseroles. I substituted potato bread slices, but otherwise followed exactly.
May 22, 2019
I like that you can prepare this ahead of time. I added diced red pepper and green onions for a little color and spice, and it was great.
Apr 27, 2019
I found this to be too bland.
Apr 17, 2019
One of our family's favorite recipes! I frequently substitute 2 cups cubed ham when I have leftover ham. Our family actually prefers it that way.
Oct 5, 2018
Used trader joes gluten free bread and it turned out amazing. I mixed up the eggs and cut up bread then had them soaking while I cooked up the sausage then in the oven it went. Exactly 40 mins was perfection. I added fresh herbs from the garden, some garlic powder and a garlic clove while cooking the sausage. This is an amazing base recipe!
Jun 24, 2018
2 stars because the serving sizes are so ridiculously small.