The original recipe for this was so rich and fill of fat, I made it only a few times. Lighter ingredients now allow me to enjoy it often.—Jeanette Brower, Huber Heights, Ohio
Recommended: 25 Ways to Eat Eggs All Day
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen breakfast turkey sausage links, thawed
- 2 cups egg substitute
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 slices whole wheat bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup cubed reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta)
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain if necessary. In a large bowl, combine the egg substitute, milk, salt and pepper. Add the bread, sausage and cheese; mix well.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, covered, at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is bubbly and bread is lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Egg Bake in Country Woman March/April 2003, p36