VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 12 ounces reduced-fat pork and turkey breakfast sausage links, cut into pieces
- 2 cups egg substitute
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 slices whole wheat bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup cubed reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta)
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain if necessary. In a large bowl, combine the egg substitute, milk, salt and pepper. Add the bread, sausage and cheese; mix well. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, covered, at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is bubbly and bread is lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Egg Bake in Country Woman March/April 2003, p36