Sausage and Cheese Souffle
I created this souffle based on a recipe from my great aunt. I even make it for Sunday dinner with applesauce, bread and a tossed salad.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/2 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 large eggs, separated
- In a small skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and salt; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into the egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in the sausage. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into sausage-cheese mixture.
- Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Place in a large baking pan. Add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 310 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 203mg cholesterol, 511mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Sausage and Cheese Souffle in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2006