VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs, separated
- In a small skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and salt; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into the egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in the sausage. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into sausage-cheese mixture.
- Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Place in a large baking pan. Add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Sausage and Cheese Souffle in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p156
Reviews forSausage and Cheese Souffle
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 20, 2013
"Good but is very hard to stir constantly and beat the egg whites."