Sausage and Cheddar Scones
Served with a touch of gourmet mustard, these golden scones are practically a meal in one. I’ve found they freeze well for up to a month. —Mary Claypool, Granada Hills, California
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound bulk sage pork sausage
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 4 large egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons water
- Dijon mustard
- In a large skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, ground mustard, baking soda, salt and pepper. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk egg whites and buttermilk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in sausage and 2 cups cheese. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Divide dough in half; pat each half into an 8-in. circle. Cut each into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Beat egg yolks and water; brush over tops. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with Dijon mustard.
Nutrition Facts1 scone (calculated without Dijon mustard): 293 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 556mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.