Sausage and Cheddar Scones
Served with a touch of gourmet mustard, these golden scones are practically a meal in one. I’ve found they freeze well for up to a month. —Mary Claypool, Granada Hills, California
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 4 large egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons water
- Dijon mustard
- In a large skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, ground mustard, baking soda, salt and pepper. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk egg whites and buttermilk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in sausage and 2 cups cheese. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Divide dough in half; pat each half into an 8-in. circle. Cut each into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Beat egg yolks and water; brush over tops. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with Dijon mustard.
Nutrition Facts1 scone (calculated without Dijon mustard): 293 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 556mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Sausage and Cheddar Scones in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.