- 2 pounds fresh Polish sausage
- 1 can (16 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Mashed potatoes, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown sausage until a thermometer reads 160°; drain. When cool enough to handle, cut into 1/4-inch pieces; return to pan. Stir in the sauerkraut, tomatoes with liquid, celery, onion, green pepper, brown sugar and seasonings.
- Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve with mashed potatoes if desired.
Reviews forSausage 'n' Sauerkraut
"Quite delicious and easy. My husband made it last night and added a splash of beer to deglaze the post after browning the sausage. I will definitely make this again. If I had a suggestion I would say that the mashed potatoes shouldn't be optional. It really balances out the dish."
"Good and easy."
"This is one of our staple recipes. It's consistently wonderful. Sometimes I substitute Italian sausabe for the Polish sausage."