VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) Italian tomato paste
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, beef and onion over medium-high heat 4-6 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, artichokes, garlic, rosemary, pepper, salt and bay leaf.
Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until heated through. Remove bay leaf. Stir in parsley. Serve with spaghetti. If desired, top with grated Parmesan.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Yield: 2 quarts.
Originally published as Sausage, Artichoke & Sun-Dried Tomato Ragu in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2016, p54