- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked turkey kielbasa, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapeno slices
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- In a Dutch oven, saute the kielbasa, onion, shallots, jalapeno and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Add the water, broth, beans, rice and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in spinach. Cook 5 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSausage & Rice Stew
"I omitted the jalapeno and shallot and still thought this was delicious! I used Great Northern beans instead of cannellini and it seemed to work out fine. I cut the recipe in half for me and my husband and 3 servings seems about right. Took about 16 minutes on the stove, another 4 or so with the spinach. I do think that it needed something extra, maybe some celery? I think that's more personal preference though. I'm looking forward to trying this again!"
"Really enjoyed this recipe. Its too heavy on sodium for me to eat often on my diet but the flavor was great. Definitly having it again."
"The jalapeno in this recipe is very subtle and gives a really nice flavor. It's also very filling, without eating a lot, and you aren't hungry again just a few hours later."
"This was fantastic my husband and I loved it and I will be making it again."