I made a pot of this awesome soup when visiting my sister and her family. Now, I'll bring it along when I stop by or pack up a few containers for my nephew, who appreciates a home-cooked meal while he's off at college. —Tiffany Ihle, Bronx, New York
Featured In: 44 Ways to Get More Leafy Greens in Your Life
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 10 baby carrots, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup roasted sweet red peppers
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh kale
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, carrots and onion over medium-high heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Stir in garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Drain.
- Place tomatoes and red peppers in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Add to sausage mixture; stir in lentils, broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in kale; cook 10-15 minutes longer or until lentils and kale are tender. Remove bay leaf.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Sausage & Kale Lentil Stew in Simple & Delicious August/September 2014
Reviews forSausage & Kale Lentil Stew
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 15, 2016
"A real winner! I'm glad I doubled it because we all loved it!"
Reviewed Jan. 5, 2016