- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup frozen sliced okra, thawed
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups coarsely shredded cooked chicken
- Hot cooked rice
- In a heavy saucepan, mix flour and oil until smooth; cook and stir over medium heat until light brown, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook and stir until dark reddish brown, about 15 minutes (do not burn). Gradually stir in 3 cups broth; transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
Stir in sausage, vegetables, garlic and seasonings. Cook, covered, on low until flavors are blended, 6-8 hours. Stir in chicken and remaining broth; heat through. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSausage & Chicken Gumbo
"This turned out really, really good! The only thing I will do differently next time will be to brown the sausage a little before adding the liquid."