I make a corn bread-style bake with sausage, maple syrup and apples when we want a hearty breakfast. It’s sweet, savory and easy to make. —Stevie Wilson, Fremont, Iowa
Featured In: 32 Awesome Apple Breakfasts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 large egg
- Maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Top with apples.
- In a small bowl, combine muffin mix, milk and egg just until moistened. Pour over apples. Bake, uncovered, 30-40 minutes or until edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with maple syrup.
- Make-Ahead: Refrigerate unbaked casserole, covered, several hours or overnight. To use, preheat oven to 400°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake as directed, increasing time as necessary until edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve with syrup. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Sausage & Apple Corn Bread Bake in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2015, p25