When my husband and I were married, I didn't know how to boil water. Now, many years later, there are 890 cookbooks and counting in my collection—and we are parents of five grown children and grandparents of eight!
Recommended: Game Day Potluck Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup shredded uncooked potatoes
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a large skillet, saute the potatoes and onion in butter until onion is tender (potatoes will still be firm). Remove from the heat. Stir in the sauerkraut, parsley and seasonings.
- Stuff chicken cavity; place on a rack in roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, at 375° for 2 hours or until chicken is tender and juices run clear. Remove to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Measure 3/4 cup of the pan drippings; pour into a saucepan. Combine water and flour; add to drippings. Cook and stir until gravy boils; boil 1 minute. Serve with the chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Sauerkraut Stuffing in Country Woman September/October 1994, p33
Reviews forSauerkraut Stuffing
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 8, 2017
"This stuffing taste wonderful with yhe shredded potatoes!! It's a keeper!!!"