- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 can (16 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/4 cups chopped onions
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forSauerkraut Sausage Soup
"So very yummy for a departure of dogs & burgers the usual fare for Labor Day. All who have tasted it gave it high marks. I made it exactly as the recipe but.... made it in an Instant Pot instead of the crock pot. It cooked in eight minutes. The flavors are delicious and will definitely make it again in the IP. The prepping of the ingredients took a while but enjoyed all the fresh veggies which made it very satisfying. Am thinking of ideas to tweak it a bit next timer - perhaps meatballs instead of sausage. Thank you for this recipe. This is a keeper."
"Delicious! I made this for a family dinner with pierogies and homemade rolls. I left out the mushrooms and substituted cream of celery for the cream of mushroom. Definitely a keeper!"
"Delicious! One of our favorite soups! I serve it topped with grated Swiss Cheese and rye croutons."
"This is a favorite in our household. It's easy and tasty. My only concern is the high sodium content, which I think might improve if I used sodium-reduced broth and mushroom soup. The low carb content would make this a diabetic-friendly recipe. I think I'll also try to find a lower fat/lower sodium sausage next time."
"Sorry, this one isn't that good. Won't make it again. The flavors just don't go well together."
"I used smoked turkey sausage. It turned out very good."