I got this recipe in 1979 from another new resident at a Welcome Wagon event when I moved to Ohio. Over the years, I’ve revised it several times. My youngest daughter began helping me roll and bread these when she was only 9 years old, and she still does today. I’m always asked to bring them to special events, holidays and school functions. —Diana Hackenberg, Milford, OH
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min./batch
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) sauerkraut, well drained
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/4 cups dry bread crumbs, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional prepared mustard
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Place sauerkraut in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Add to pan. Stir in the cream cheese, parsley, prepared mustard, garlic powder, pepper and 1/4 cup bread crumbs; cook and stir over medium heat until cream cheese is melted. Transfer to a large bowl; cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Shape meat mixture into 1-1/2-in. balls. Combine flour and ground mustard in a shallow bowl. In another bowl, whisk eggs and milk. Place remaining bread crumbs in a third shallow bowl. Coat meatballs with flour, then dip in eggs and roll in bread crumbs.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry meatballs, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve with additional prepared mustard.