Sauerkraut Rye Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 3-4 hours
Makes1 loaf (2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sauerkraut, well drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- In a bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select the basic bread setting. Choose light crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed).
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 103 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 297mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 19, 2014
I make this bread often. I mix in the bread machine, using the manual cycle. I will say a little extra water is needed. I shape the dough into 4 balls and bake it that way on the oven. That way a loaf is consumed before it dries out. I always freeze the other loaves. I always get comments on it when I take it somewhere. My pastor even asked for the recipe. Very tasty and a keeper.
Feb 10, 2012
Very moist and tasty. I use this bread for Reuben sandwiches, and have had many compliments about the texture and flavor. Thank you!
Dec 23, 2011
Amazing collection of flavors, toasted with butter and honey this is sublime!
Oct 19, 2010
THE IDEA OF SAUERKRAUT BREAD SOUNDS GOOD BUT THERE WAS NOT ENOUGH WATER. IT ONLY CALLS FOR 3/4 CUP+ 1 T. I THOUGHT WHEN I STARTED IT THAT IT WASN'T ENOUGH THEN I THINK I GOT TOO MUCH. IT DIDN'T RAISE AND REALLY DIDN'T BAKE CLEAR THROUGH. THE TASTE WAS GOOD. I SEE NO ONE ELSE HAS REVIEWED THIS RECIPE. I WILL TRY IT AGAIN BUT PUT IN MORE WATER.