- 1/2 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed, drained and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs, divided
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- In a skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Stir in sauerkraut and 2 tablespoons bread crumbs; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, parsley, mustard, garlic salt and pepper; stir into sauerkraut mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Shape into 3/4-in. balls; roll in flour. In a small bowl, beat eggs and milk. Dip meatballs into egg mixture, then roll in remaining bread crumbs. In an electric skillet, heat 2 in. of oil to 375°. Fry meatballs until golden brown; drain. Combine mayonnaise and mustard; serve with meatballs. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews forSauerkraut Meatballs
"I doubled this recipe using a 8 oz of cream cheese and a 32 oz bag of saurkraut. It is the hit of all gatherings. Delicious!"