Sauerkraut Ham Balls Recipe
- 1 pound ground fully cooked ham
- 1 jar (16 ounces) sauerkraut, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs, divided
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the ham, sauerkraut, onion and 2 tablespoons bread crumbs. In another bowl, combine the cream cheese, parsley, mustard, garlic powder and pepper; stir into sauerkraut mixture. Chill for 1 hour or overnight.
- 2. Shape into 3/4-in. balls; coat with flour. In a small bowl, beat eggs and milk. Dip ham balls into the egg mixture, then roll in the remaining bread crumbs.
- 3. In a deep-fat fryer or electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Fry ham balls until golden brown; drain on paper towels. Yield: 5 dozen.
Editor's note: Recipe can be made into larger balls and served as a main dish.
Reviews for Sauerkraut Ham Balls
"Hats off on this recipe. These are the best Kraut balls we ever had. I made them for New Year's Day and my family loved them!!! The only thing I didn't do was put in the parsley because I didn't have it. Making them up again today. If you want a great recipe try this one, there great and easy :)"