Sauerkraut Beef Supper
When I was growing up, my mother made this old-fashioned dish to mark the beginning of fall. Her light-as-air rolls and creamy custard raisin pie were wonderful accompaniments.—Carol Ann Cassaday, St. Louis, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1-1/4 cups finely chopped onions, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 bacon strip, diced
- In a large bowl, combine the ham, rice, 3/4 cup onions, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; crumble beef over mixture and mix gently.
- In a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, place half of the sauerkraut; sprinkle with half of the remaining onions. Top with meat mixture, remaining sauerkraut and onions. Sprinkle with sugar and remaining salt and pepper. Top with bacon.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 65-70 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 256 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 1190mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Sauerkraut Beef Supper in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.