Sauerkraut Beef Buns Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (48 ounces) frozen bread dough dinner rolls, thawed
- Melted butter
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add sauerkraut. Cool for 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, flatten each piece of dough. Top each with a heaping tablespoonful of beef mixture. Fold dough over filling to meet in center; pinch edges to seal.
- 3. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter. Serve warm. Yield: 4 dozen.
Leftover Sauerkraut Beef Buns can be frozen. Cool, then wrap individually in heavy-duty foil and place in a large resealable plastic bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, bake foil-wrapped buns at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
1 each: 45 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Sauerkraut Beef Buns
"My mom always made these when I was little but not too often because she made it seem like it was difficult. Now I make them much more often. I make sure not to drain the sauerkraut and add a little corn starch to thicken the mixture so it doesn't fall out on the first bite. I also add chopped green pepper and a pinch of sugar. Yum yum!"
"the 1 tsp of salt and pepper is for the whole recipe ,not in each bun."
"This is like my recipe, but I use salt and pepper(1tsp of each)and 1 Tbsp of shredded mozerella cheese on top of the filling in each bun.They are awesome!"
"I JUST MADE THESE AND I LIKE THE IDEA OF THEM BECAUSE I LOVE SAUERKRAUT BUT THEY ARE A LITTLE DRY. THEY NEED SOMETHING IN THEM TO GIVE THEM A LITTLE MOISTURE. I THOUGHT MAYBE A LITTLE SLICE OF CHEESE IN EACH ONE.I USED THE 40 MINUTE HAMBURGER BUN RECIPE FOR THE bread. THEY BROWNED BEAUTIFULLY. THEY ARE VERY TIME CONSUMING TO MAKE. I ONLY GOT 26 BUNS OUT OF IT. I PROBABLY PUT A LITTLE MORE THAN A TABLESPOON ON EACH ONE. I HAD JUST A SPOONFUL LEFT OVER. I WILL MAKE THEM AGAIN AND ADD SOME CHEESE. I THINK IT WOULD MAKE THEM EASIER TO PINCH THE BUN TOGETHER TOO. DONALEE2"
"We really loved this. My husband is Czech and eats sauerkraut out of the jar so i knew he would like it. We added some pepper to the mixture and then tried a Thai chili sauce for dipping. My son ate the bun straight."