- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 jar (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound fully cooked Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3-1/2 cups diced cooked peeled potatoes
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 medium unpeeled apple, diced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 3 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add sauerkraut, sausage, potatoes, apple juice and apple. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and caraway; stir into saucepan. Simmer for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Garnish with bacon. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews forSauerkraut 'n' Sausage
"Have made this many times now and shared it with family and friends . they all say its tasty."
"Yum...this is a very tasty and satisfying dish."
"I found this recipe a year or two ago and have made it many times. My family loves it! It's absolutely delicious as written, however, sometimes I add some smoked pork chop as well. I serve with a good crusty bread and Beer'n Brat Horseradish Mustard! The mustard is essential to this recipe. Thank you Edna for an awesome recipe. :)"
"I rediscovered this recipe because I printed it from the TOH's web site in May 2008 (that was before I found out that I could have put it in "my recipes" file. I had made it then for a church's pot luck dinner & it was totally consumed! I also wrote on it in red, " EXCELLENT"! I am again making it for an Easter dinner tomorrow for gathering of my family. Lucky me I came across it."
"I used granny smith apples, and my husband said it was a bit too much apple flavor."