Sauerbraten Lamb Shanks Recipe
Fall is a great time to enjoy slow-cooked meats. Here’s a recipe for some very tasty lamb shanks in a rich, tangy sauerbraten gravy.
- 7-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole peppercorns
- 5 whole allspice
- LAMB SHANKS:
- 6 lamb shanks (20 ounces each)
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 9 gingersnap cookies, crushed
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Cool completely. Strain half of the marinade; cover and refrigerate.
- 2. Cut slits into each lamb shank; insert garlic slices. Place in a large shallow nonmetallic bowl; add the remaining marinade. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade from lamb. Place flour in a shallow bowl; coat lamb shanks with flour. In a stockpot, brown shanks on all sides in 1/3 cup oil in batches. Remove and set aside.
- 4. In the same pan, saute onions in remaining oil. Add reserved marinade. Return shanks to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-3/4 hours. Add carrots and return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until carrots are tender.
- 5. Remove shanks to a cutting board. Skim fat from cooking juices. Stir in cookie crumbs and bouillon. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Return meat to the gravy; heat through. Yield: 6 servings (about 6 cups gravy).
1 each: 791 calories, 44g fat (12g saturated fat), 199mg cholesterol, 623mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 3g fiber), 55g protein.
Reviews for Sauerbraten Lamb Shanks
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC