Saucy Tarragon Chicken
“This delightful golden chicken dish boasts plenty of mushroom gravy and a mild, satisfying taste with just a hint of lemon and tarragon,” notes Mary Steiner of West Bend, Wisconsin.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 3/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3 tablespoons sherry or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken with tarragon and lemon-pepper. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, brown chicken in butter on both sides. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add 1 cup broth and sherry, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- Return chicken to the pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 7-10 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- Combine flour and remaining broth until smooth; stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Drain noodles; serve with chicken and sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 379 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 454mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Lemon-Tarragon Chicken in Light & Tasty October/November 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.