Saucy Swiss Steak
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef round steak (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- Cut steak into serving-size pieces. Combine the flour, salt and pepper; sprinkle over both sides of steak. In a pressure cooker, brown steak on both sides in oil; drain. Add carrots, onion, green pepper and celery.
- In a bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; add soup and horseradish. Pour over vegetables.
- Close cover securely; place pressure regulator on vent pipe. Bring cooker to fully pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 12 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion or release of steam; adjust heat if needed.) Remove from the heat. Immediately cool according to manufacturer's directions until pressure is completely reduced.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 253 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 552mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein.
Mar 8, 2017
I cooked this last night in my new pressure cooker. I didn't have the settings down but it still came out great. Left the horseradish and cream of tarter out. The meat needs more seasoning I think but the veggie medley was awesome and easy. Served over microwave rice. Awesome and I expect perfect with new tweeks.
Apr 25, 2016
THIS WAS EXCELLENT! I worried there wasn't much liquid for the pressure cooker and kept taking sniffs to see if anything was burning, but it turned out there was plenty. Husband likes meat to be tender or he won't eat it, so I felt I was really taking a chance. It was very tender and tasty, and we both had two helpings. I am really pleased with the result. Thank You! I will definitely make this again!
Feb 9, 2013
Super easy, quick, and satisfying. Followed the directions exactly. I might add a tsp of sugar, something I often do when using tomato products. Served it to a male guest and he had extra helpings.
Sep 26, 2011
VERY, VERY GOOD!!!! This is an excellent way to prepare the round steak we have when purchasing beef quarters. I don't have a pressure cooker so used my crockpot instead. 8 hours later hubby & I enjoyed a meal that took me 15 minutes to prepare. I'll freeze the leftovers and turn it into beef stew at a later date!!!!
Jun 7, 2010
I love pressure cooking! The results are so tender and succulent. I alternate between serving Swiss steak with noodles or mashed potatoes.
Mar 7, 2010
when i posted this it posted it as a two star...this is without a doubt a five star recipe!!
Mar 7, 2010
oh sooooo good!! my family looked at this and said "ewww gross!" but i have my convinced to at least try something...which they did and loooved it!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.