Saucy Stuffed Zucchini Recipe
- 3 to 4 medium zucchini (1-3/4 to 2 pounds)
- 12 ounces Italian sausage, browned and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1. Drop whole zucchini into boiling water; boil for 5 minutes. Drain. Rinse under cold water; cool. Cut in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Place pulp in a saucepan; add sausage, peppers, onion, Italian seasoning and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Place zucchini shells in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon filling into shells. In a saucepan, melt butter; add flour and salt. Stir until smooth paste forms. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and the mustard; mix well. Pour over zucchini. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 3-4 servings.
1 each: 346 calories, 23g fat (11g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 1126mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Saucy Stuffed Zucchini
"We thought this recipe was ok... maybe I should of used the hot italian sausage... it needed something.. we thought it was kind of bland."
"This is a great recipe! my family loved it!"
"Very good. I will make this again."
"I thought it was fantastic"
"I have a question..do you eat the skins? Thank you"
"Wow, really yummy! we will make again and again as our zuchinni comes in!"
"This was delicious. I used lean ground beef in place of sausage. I also will just boil the zucchini for only 1 1/2 minutes.To make sure they don't fall apart. Other than that it was great."
"My family loved this!!! I skipped the cooking of the shells first though. We like are vegees firm."