Saucy Steak Strips
Tomato and chili sauces lend nice flavor to this simple stir-fry of sirloin strips and crunchy green beans. You can serve it alone, but we like it over rice or noodles. —Lacey Cook of Nedrow, New York
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3/4 pound lean boneless beef sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups sliced onions
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans, thawed
- Hot cooked rice or yolk-free noodles, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, brown steak in oil over medium heat. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onions in drippings until tender. Add the tomato sauce, broth, chili sauce, sugar, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add beans and beef. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat and beans are tender and sauce is slightly thickened. Serve over rice or noodles if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 230 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 779mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 vegetable.
Originally published as Saucy Steak Strips in Light & Tasty February/March 2003