Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds halibut, haddock or salmon fillets or steaks
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, paprika and pepper. Add fish and shake to coat (if using fillets, cut into serving-size pieces first).
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; remove and set aside. Add fish to the skillet, cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove fish to a serving plate and keep warm.
- Add the sour cream, basil and onion to the skillet; heat through (do not boil). Serve with fish. Garnish with parsley.
1 each: 319 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 531mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.Originally published as Saucy Skillet Fish in Taste of Home June/July 1999Read Next
Aug 6, 2015
Question; Can you substitute any portion of sour cream with Greek yogurt?
Jan 31, 2015
This was delicious, will definitely make it again.
Aug 25, 2014
I just love this recipe! I make it quite a bit. It's very quick and easy and tastes so good. I use tilapia.
Apr 7, 2013
T have made this recipe quite a few times over the years and it is always a big hit. It's the recipe my husband always requests for special dinners. I have only used Halibut.
Mar 29, 2012
I've made this a few times & it's wonderful.
Mar 6, 2012
This was absolutely delicious.
Feb 10, 2012
We liked this, but the sauce had a little too much onion flavor. I might make this again, but I would try a different fish. I used salmon.
Aug 16, 2011
Super easy to make and even got my 3 year old to eat it! I made too much sauce though so planning on making again tomorrow.
May 18, 2010
I'm always trying to find recipes that I like that use fish and this one is wonderful. It's easy and delicious. I have used whiting and flounder.
Feb 20, 2010
I'm not big on fish, but try to have it during lent for my husband. We both liked this recipe. I cut the recipe in half and it worked very well. I also liked that it was so quick.
I used halibut.
Reviews for Saucy Skillet Fish
More from Taste of Home