These moist meatballs are a speedy way to make an Italian-style meal. They're ready in just minutes in the microwave.—Edna Denny, Pine Island, Minnesota
Recommended: 28 Romantic Dinners for Valentines Day (or Any Day!)
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a bowl, combine egg, onion and salt. Add beef; mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place half in a microwave-safe 2-qt. dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3 to 3-1/2 minutes or until meatballs are firm and no longer pink; drain. Repeat with remaining meatballs.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice and garlic salt. Cook, uncovered, on high for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved, stirring every 30 seconds. Pour over meatballs. Cover and microwave at 50% power for 4-5 minutes or until heated through. Serve over spaghetti. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Saucy Microwave Meatballs in Country Woman September/October 1999, p35