Saucy Microwave Meatballs
These moist meatballs are a speedy way to make an Italian-style meal. They're ready in just minutes in the microwave.—Edna Denny, Pine Island, Minnesota
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, onion and salt. Crumble beef over the mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- Place half of the meatballs in a microwave-safe 2-qt. dish. Cover and microwave on high for 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until meatballs are firm and no longer pink; drain. Repeat with remaining meatballs.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice and garlic salt. Cook, uncovered, on high for 30-60 seconds or until sugar is dissolved, stirring every 15 seconds. Pour over meatballs. Cover and microwave at 50% power for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Serve with spaghetti.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 330 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 984mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Saucy Microwave Meatballs in Country Woman September/October 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.