Saucy Mandarin Duck
For something a little different, try this savory, sweet duck dish that is flavored with Asian seasonings and mandarin oranges. It's a nice change of pace. For flair, garnish each serving with toasted sesame seeds.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + marinating Cook: 4-3/4 hours
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 domestic duck (4 to 4-1/2 pounds), skinned, deboned and cut into cubes
- 1/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup green pepper strips (1/4-in. thick)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- For marinade, in a small bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Pour 3/4 cup into a large resealable plastic bag; add the duck. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and discard marinade. Transfer duck to a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker; add reserved marinade. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until tender. Skim fat.
- In a small saucepan, saute mushrooms and green pepper in butter. Combine the cornstarch, ginger and milk until smooth. Stir into mushroom mixture; add to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 45 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Just before serving, stir in oranges. Serve with rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 386 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 1284mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Duck in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.